Tuesday 15 January 2013


Not quite 365

Well, I’ve been wanting to do this for a while – but haven’t ever had the push to do it. I’ve woken up today and the world is not so dark as it has been, the birds are cheeping and it’s not lashing down with rain or snow so I’ve been inspired…

I’m very lucky to live in a beautiful place in the Midlands. A place I’ve recently heard dubbed “The village in the City,” the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham is an area of the city which combines the spirits of preservation and regeneration and is home to gorgeous buildings, outdoor spaces and some bloody good pubs. I get to walk through this area on my way to work (in the heart of the Colmore Buisness District) every morning. The area changes and morphs with the seasons and I wanted to preserve this through a series of photographs. As the title suggests, I was intending to do this as a 365 project – but obviously I don’t go to work 365 days a year, so I’m planning to do document as much as I can over this time. I want the focus of the photographs to be from Caroline Street (looking down on to the Church), but with the spirit of change I am going to try and take pictures which best encapsulate my mood and the beauty of the area.

This is my first photo. I am no professional photographer and am intending to take the majority of the pics on my phone (meaning the quality might not always be the best). Please feel free to share your own thoughts and notes on the project… I hope to make it as interactive as possible.

One more note… as a thought for the day… I heard this on a podcast this morning and it inspired me. I hope you take something from it too… “If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody."

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy it Vicky. I did a 365 in 2011 & thoroughly enjoyed it. Take it a day at a time, make a note (even a mental one) of what would make a good photo & above all have fun doing it. Mick X

    ReplyDelete