Wednesday 13 February 2013

Shrove Tuesday and Wintery Wednesday








Again, apologies in being so rubbish in writing and posting the blog. I never seem to get much time to myself either at work or home at the moment, so being given a spare 10 minutes this Wednesday evening seems a bit of a luxury…

Monday night was a bit of a later night than originally expected. We met up with our friend Emma to commemorate a rather sad anniversary for her, so that meant we had chats with cocktails until 7pm. It doesn’t sound late – but I went out straight from work so had one of those days where I left the house at 7:10am and didn’t get in till nearly 8pm. When we got back, we had a bit of fun experimenting with Bloody Mary’s (one of our favourite drinks). We had been given some “Sputnik” Horse Raddish Vodka and some “Blood Shot” (a Vodka based liquor which is aged in Port and has a spicy aftertaste). Only one each, so not a heavy night – but I was knackered Tuesday morning.

Tuesday was a snowy start, but wasn’t too slippery. Thank goodness! I’ve chosen two pics to illustrate Tuesday. The first one is the “imposing tree” I chose a while ago. He looks a lot less scary with snow on top, doesn’t he? The snow really does make everything look clean and fresh.

The second photo was a vibrant flower that’s growing in the planters around the church. It really warms the heart to see the lovely strong colours. A nice reminder that the cold (should) soon be a distant memory and the sun will be with us soon.

As you can tell from the fact I didn’t write a blog Tuesday, it was a bit manic. The valentine’s card scheme for charity really kicked off a notch, so between loads and loads of work, I was running round trying to discreetly take money and distribute cards to my colleagues. Add that to trying to organise a bunch of senior managers who are totally clueless of what it takes to write and formalise procedures, and you have one heck of a day! For the record, I really like all the managers I work with, I just wish they could manage themselves better!

Tuesday evening was a total joy. We’ve made a new friend recently. A lovely lass has just moved to the JQ from the US, and doesn’t really know very much about the area or the people in Brum – so we’ve promised her that we’ll do what we can to help her get out and do stuff in her new home. As she had never experienced Pancake day in the UK, we thought, we’ll have her over and make her a few American style pancakes (a little taste of America in the UK). Well, that turned into our friends Squeeks, Gitzy and Emma also coming over and a Flippin’ Frenzy. My other half made BEAUTIFUL nutmeg and cinnamon thick pancakes and we had all sorts of toppings (everything from Jam and nutella to Dutch cheese!). I thought it would be a nice early night, but we didn’t end up kicking everyone out until about midnight. 



That has lead to another tired day today. This morning, the world took on a lovely pink hue, which I tried to catch (pretty unsuccessfully) in the above pic of the clock tower. This is really the motif of the quarter and is a real thing of beauty.

Had an early breakfast meeting (with a sausage sandwich – thank goodness!) and then proceeded to spend the rest of the day selling valentines cards and trying to make movement on the actions I managed to obtain in the meeting. It didn’t feel very productive, but I’ve made some movement on some niggling points that have been outstanding for yonks.

As today is Wednesday, I’m looking forward to my normal posse of friends coming over in a bit. Tonights line up is Jon, Jazz, Jo, Emma and Caroline. Hopefully it’ll be as much of a giggle as last night (but less late)!

Must dash – no time for quote research – as I’ve got to eat my dinner and spruce up the flat! Ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment